Audrey Magazine (Ethel Navales):
Not all Asians look the same. I repeat, not all Asians look the same. It seems no matter how many times we say it, people simply assume that all Asians share the same physical features. Some believe we all have the same body structure and others even think we all have the same kind of hair. Of course, we know this is absurd. We know that there are plenty of ethnicities which categorize under the umbrella term “Asian” and we know there are plenty of Asians who are of mixed race. So why do people think all Asians look the alike? Well it may have a thing or two to do with media’s portrayal of Asians. If audiences have only been exposed to a very particular type of Asian, how can they know we’re all different? This lack of exposure may be the very reason many celebs who are bi-racial or multiracial are often overlooked in the Asian community. Even if they don’t necessarily “look it,” all of the following celebrities are Asian.
Check out this list of 20 Asian celebs you probably didn’t know were Asian.
1) Vanessa Hudgens from High School Musical is part Chinese and part Filipino.
2) Tiger Woods is part Thai.
3) Chad Michael Murray of One Tree Hill is a quarter Japanese.
4) Dean Cain, superman of the TV series, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman is a quarter Japanese.
5) Nicole Scherzinger of PussyCat Dolls is half Filipino.
6) Keanu Reeves of The Matrix is a quarter Hawaiian and a quarter Chinese.
7) Darren Criss of the TV series Glee is half Filipino.
8) Ne-Yo is a quarter Chinese.
9) Tyga, the rapper, is half Vietnamese.
10) Maggie Q is half Vietnamese.
11) Enrique Iglesias is half Filipino.
12) Piper Curda of the Disney Channel show I Didn’t Do It is part Korean.
13) Mark-Paul Gosselaar, aka Zack Morris of the 90’s hit TV show Saved By The Bell, is a quarter Indonesian.
14) Kristin Kreuk of the TV series SmallVille and Beauty and the Beast is half Chinese.
15) Kelsey Asbille Chow of the MTV series Teen Wolf and The Amazing Spiderman is part Chinese.
16) Host of the TV show Lip Sync Battle and model, Chrissy Teigen is half Thai.
17) Rob Schneider of Grown Ups and The Hot Chick is a quarter Filipino.
18) Chanel Iman, the Victoria Secret Angel and model is half Korean.
19) Model Karrueche Tran is half Vietnamese.
20) Bérénice Marlohe from the famous Bond series, SkyFall is part Cambodian and Chinese.
After visiting Terry Richardson’s studio in 2012, South Korean rapper G-Dragon returns to team up with the controversial photographer once again.
In the candid images, the musician channels his boisterous personality for the snaps, wearing leather pants and an oversized muscle T-shirt. In the past, the rapper has worked with Giuseppe Zanotti to release an exclusive capsule collection and even DRx Romanelli, for a collaborative project along with YG Entertainment
Following a bevy of teasers, M.I.A.’s latest project debuted earlier today on Apple’s streaming service. Entitled Matahdatah Scroll 01 Broader Than a Border, the piece includes the Matangi cut “Warriors” and new track “Swords” and sees the two songs accompanying a short film and dancing men and women in both India and West Africa. Billed as the “first in a series of truly global and characteristically DIY M.I.A. releases over the coming months,” Matahdatah Scroll 01 gives fans a good idea of what can be expected from the future releases: collections of M.I.A. tracks along videos directed and edited by the artist herself.
Altogether, the individual projects will form M.I.A.’s forthcoming album/film about borders, Matahdatah. Said the artist of the project:
My new song Swords was filmed in a Temple in India and we recorded the clang of the metal to make the beat at the same time as shooting these incredible girls. There’s ten more of these countries coming and I haven’t chased where to go yet, so who knows where this project will take me. Warriorswas shot in Cote d’Ivoire with a guy I saw in a YouTube video doing the most incredible dancing. I tracked down that exact guy, flew out there and played him the Warriors track. He did his thing for me. He is a spiritual warrior and communicates through dancing. It’s a lifelong commitment for him to be the designated spiritual body that channels that dance.
Matahdatah Scroll 01 is available now via Apple Music.
In celebration of the 25th anniversary of the silhouette, VILLA and rapper Wale have teamed up with ASICS to craft an Independence Day-themed “Bottle Rocket” edition of the GEL-Lyte III. First teased earlier this month, the design boasts a predominately black upper, donning premium leather paneling as a white star motif appears beneath black mesh overlays. Additional touches are highlighted by patriotic red, white and blue accents across the likes of the laces, branding, speckled midsole and rubber outsole while reflective touches evoke the explosive nature of the shoe’s namesake.
The “Bottle Rocket” edition of the popular split-tongued retro will be available at VILLA in limited quantities beginning June 26.
Japan’s the POOL aoyama has released a collection of apparel honoring iconic hip-hop/rap group, Wu-Tang Clan. Adorned with the group’s trademark bat signal, the collection comes with a sweatshirt hoodie as well as a T-shirt. The pieces are a part of the POOL aoyama’s MELANISM collection, and is available in limited quantities.
The sweatshirt retails for ¥18,000 JPY (approximately $145 USD) and the T-shirt for ¥8,000 JPY (approximately $65 USD). The pieces are available now over at the POOL aoyama’s site.